Review it!!!!!

~ Feature Friday VII~



*********************************************************************************************
Every Friday I will be reviewing a different shop. When inquiring about this type of post, my fellow Etsian's have surprised me with a positive and abundant response to my blog request I sent out.

To better understand the review read this:
*The category I reviewed is the Largest word before or in the bold text.
*The bold text tells what I am looking for in the category for a positive score.
*The red or blue text that follows is what I thought of how the store does in the category, red meaning needing improvementblue meaning no improvement needed.

Without further ado let's get this review going.
*********************************************************************************************
What we have up today is the wonderful little shop, with 47 items, Rivercoon Fun Furry Fantasiess
Opened on May 8, 2014 and is at 6 sales, the total sales thus far are fantastic for such a new shop. (NOTE: I only review new shops if they have a minimum of 20 items).

Banner: Is there a professional looking banner that depicts what the shop is about, or sells?

Yes. 10/10 points

When it comes to the photos it is important that they are very clean and use white light. Which is the best type of lighting to show the items true color. Make sure there are a variety, and shows off all the important parts of the item. The photos are the most important part of your shop.

While browsing the shops photos, I found that all of the listings were spot on, being clear and crisp. While not all the slots for photos were used, they did not need to be. Rivercoon made sure to show all aspects of the item/print/canvas the viewer needs to see to know what they would receive. 50/50 points

Tags: When listing your items it is very important to put what you would in the search bar. Views = Sales.

While looking at the tags, I was happy to see that all 13 spots were used, which is vital when it comes to searches. Making sure to use what you would when searching for your own items. The only thing that needs to change is instead of one word tags, try a phrase. "Fantasy print" "Custom pin" "Original art piece" just to name a few. (Example: Title: Old Winged Ermine Flutter Ferret + The tag: Flutter Ferret = A less viewed, favorited item.) 5/10 points Also, many people don't know this, but pluralization does NOT matter when adding tags. Which means you can add even more tags. So be creative!

Descriptions should tell you even more information about the item you're looking at. If you are looking at a purse, it should have the size, or size options listed. You also should also verify what the potential buyer is looking at. Mentioning your packaging and where to find your policies is always an added bonus.

While Rivercoon doesn't link to the policies, or talk about packaging; he does list sizing, and reconfirms what the viewer sees in the photo. The only thing I would like to see added would be an 'about' paragraph of why you chose to make that particular piece, and/or the inspiration behind it. Use the space that you are given. 15/20 points

Featured items: What are featured items, and what items should I feature? You should feature any 4 items that are your personal favorites, and you should pick your favorite from different sections of your shop. Having a variety of different items that all grab your eye will help your shoppers know what they may find while browsing.
You MUST use all 4 featured spots, never letting a slot go unfilled for a long period of time. This makes your shop look unkempt, or inactive.

Rivercoon makes sure to fill all 4 spots, and they are diverse items showcasing what the shop has to offer. 5/5 points


Shop Sections: I want a pin, and original piece, and a gift for my art loving friend. Can I find that easily?
With the shop sections I can. Use all 10 sections on your shop, and make sure you use one for sales, clearance, or destashing items. Even if it's not used very often, this will help for the bargain hunters that pop into your shop from time to time.

Rivercoon only has 3 sections, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a sale, or reserved listing section, yet. The shop is new so it makes since that those sections haven't been needed thus far. I also like the easy 3 choices, they make searching simple, and keep every different type of item in it's easy to find area. Using the sections the way it was intended.  20/20 points

Pricing is something that is tough for many people, I wouldn't bat an eye dropping $200 on a watch at a retail setting. With the knowledge that others have successfully purchased prior and been satisfied with the quality that was advertised, I wouldn't bat an eye elsewhere.

Rivercoon's prices vary from $5 - $300. Art works take time, and patience. The skill and love that goes into each art work makes it priceless to the artist, with this said when it comes to art pieces the monetary value is strictly up to them. 10/10 points.

About the seller: As long as this newly added feature is filled out, with no spelling mistakes I'm happy with it. This is another MUST DO, you want your buyers to know whom they are supporting with each purchase.

There is no About the seller. 0/20 points Super simple fix, please take the time to add one.

When it comes to reviews they speak for themselves:
If Rivercoon didn't have any sales I would have voided this category out.

There are no reviews. 0/5 points While this isn't the fault of Rivercoon, I will not be giving any points, for simple fact that I can not review what doesn't exist. BUT because this isn't Rivercoons fault I will be keeping the wording blue.

How to help get your customers to leave reviews? 

Make sure to send a handwritten thank you note with each purchase, and leave a reminder somewhere on the card, about leaving feedback. Most buyers will return to let you know how you did.

So, with all of that said, I give  Rivercoon Fun Furry Fantasies, a 115/150 

1- 30  Not worth my time
31-60  Not worth my money
61-90  Would heart
91-120  Would buy from
121-150  Would buy from loyally


About the seller: I asked David, one of the faces behind Rivercoon, 6 questions here is what he had to say:


1.) Tell us a bit about yourself.

Unmarried. Christian. After graduating high school I studied architecture at Phoenix Institute of Technology then returned to Riverside and designed travel trailers at Fleetwood for 25 years. I have a love of world building which has lead to such diverse interests as animation, science fiction, dark rides and space development. I took a few art classes growing up and recently returned to the Riverside Art Museum for more when I decided to do acrylics. Otherwise I'm self taught.



2.) What first made you want to become an artist?

Drawing started before reading. Growing up I wanted to be an animator for Disney. Art is an outlet for my imagination.

3.) Please describe you creative process how, when, materials, ect.

Most work starts as rough drawings on a sketch pad. I try to keep the number of steps down to a minimum. Most of my work is marker and pencil so I draw it out on Bristol or illustration board and then ink and color right over the pencil (with lots of erasing in between). Work usually takes place on a somewhat rickety old drawing table that is half covered in reference material and art supplies.


4.) WEBSITES.

5.) What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?

I am new to Etsy myself so I can just say do what you love and don't expect to get rich overnight.


Print - BUFFALO'S GUN


6.) How do you promote your work?

Facebook. Pinterest. Getting involved in the Forums and Teams here. I also set up booths at any venues I can find and have displayed in both a galley and restaurant.






What do you think of this shop? Was my review fair and accurate? Tell me below in the comments.






*All participating parties have consented to the review above, along with opinions, and permission has been granted to use likenesses, photos, and links from the shops owner and operator.
*Opinions stated by shops reviewed do not reflect or represent the opinions of AshleysHomeSpun.

1 comment:

  1. The most fantastic artwork! Very unique and interesting in a modern kind of comfortable way! Beautiful:) I really think that the above review is a fair and accurate, although I do also think the artist has a lot of work to do to get those listings out to be seen and have them in the spotlight. The hardest thing with original 2d work is advertising via media and not having everybody just copy and paste, you may want a watermark of some kind. I agree we really want to hear more of the story behind the artist in an about page.. Good work overall.

    M.

    ReplyDelete