Behind the Scenes

A look into the world of AshleysHomeSpun
I won't lie, my favorite thing about my house has got to be my little craft room. It's seen somethings throughout the years. It didn't start out as a full room mind you. It originally was 1 ball of local alpaca yarn and a handmade crochet hook, when I was 11.

When I was 14 it evolved into a bag of yarn, with a small collection of knitting needles. Before I knew it, it was a couple of 3 drawered, clear, roll away storage containers, at 17.

When I got married at the age of 20, it was our second bedroom, in our apartment, mixed with my photography gear and props.

When we moved into our first home a year later. It got it's elbow room, and took over my photography stuff. The photography equipment would move to the guest room, and the craftroom would fully realize...until at the age of 26 we required a nursery!

Now we are in need of a bigger home, and we shall sees what lies in store for my little office space.

Other side of the same space. I spy a hat tree!
I often forget the things I have gathered, as they are such staples in the room, now. That small 2 by 3 shelf was created by my little brother, when he was still in highschool, as a Christmas gift.

The hat tree was a find at an antique mall, it is actually a "bottle Christmas tree". The picture was of my first session I did for my niece. The memories are all flooding back.

When I sit in that chair, I often find myself writing in a notebook. Be it my new ideas or my plan of attack for when orders flood in, and I rarely find myself crafting in it. I usually reserved that for the very cushy bean bag I keep in the middle of the room. (Removed for photo).

Supply Announcement

Nothing made me more upset, than when the big box supplier stopped carrying these buttons. It kept saying "restocking soon" on the website, and in the actual store. So I went out and found the source, and much to my delight, I was able to order as many as I needed!

I needed them for my "newsboys" hats, one of my old top sellers. Once the buttons came back, I couldn't contain my excitement, and just had to toss them in my with all my idea yarn for an official announcement!

I used to keep all my "idea yarn" in a big bowl, along with various tools I needed. It was bulky, crowded, and messy. Really just so unnecessary!


Big Bowl of "Idea Yarn"
 My idea yarn took over my bowl, no more room for thoughts, let along inspiration. So it was retired to only hold LYS (local yarn store) and Indie Dyers fibers.

After making this decision, I went back to project bag and never looked back!

The Cash Book of my dreams
After making 5 rompers, 4 in newborn, and 1 in 6 months sizes, I decided to do something artsy. I borrowed my best friends vintage cash book, and snapped a few photos of my hard work. Dreaming of being the type of person that could keep up with such a thing. Alas, I had to return it, and get back to work.

To be honest, I kind of wish I had a more raw version of this production. Something about a messy desk, means more to me, now.


My very first behind the scenes image, 9 years ago.
When Etsy Chatrooms were still a thing! I met myself a spinner of yarn, and I fell in love with her shop. I would go on to buy a few more things from her, before her stuff would sell out the moment it went  up.

She is no longer on Etsy, so trying to track her down will be a bit of a challenge, I'm afraid.


I'll continue to post more behind the scenes as I move forward, from now on! Stuff that is more raw, and less polished! My thoughts in the moment, and what I am doing right then.

I hope this shows you more of my head space, with this post. Where as I plan on the next behind the scenes to be more about the process!

0 comments:

Post a Comment